Pollo Guisado (Dominican Creole Chicken)
Author: from Extending The Table
- 1 ¾ lbs. chicken breast, chunked
- 1 clove garlic
- ¾ t. dried oregano
- ½ t. salt
- 1 t. lemon juice
- ¼ t. black pepper
- 1 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 t. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- green pepper, cut into strips
- medium onion, chopped
- 1 T. cooking oil
- 1 t. brown sugar
- ⅛ cup tomato paste
- carrots, chopped
- Mix chicken with garlic, oregano, salt, lemon juice, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, green pepper, and onion. Marinate one hour or longer.
- In a large fry pan, heat cooking oil and brown sugar. Remove all chicken from the spice mixture and brown in the oil. Sugar will burn, making chicken very brown.
- Add tomato paste and water, along with the spice mixture and carrots. Cover and cook until vegetables are soft, adding water if necessary. Serve with rice.