Italian Sausage Lasagna
Author: adapted from Betty Crocker
- ½ lb. Italian pork sausage
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ T. fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ T. fresh chopped basil OR 1 t. dried basil
- ½ t. sugar
- 1 (15-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz.) can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz.) container ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¾ t. dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- lasagna noodles
- Preheat over to 350° F.
- In a medium skillet, brown the sausage, onion, bell pepper, and onion. Drain. Add 1 T. parsley, basil, sugar, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Heat until boiling, reduce to low and simmer uncovered until slightly thickened.
- In a medium bowl, mix ricotta, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, remaining ½ T. parsley, and oregano.
- Spread 1 cup of the sauce mixture in an ungreased 9x9-in. pan. Top with noodles, cheese mixture, sauce mixture.
- Top with remaining cheese mixture and reserved ¼ cup Parmesan.
- Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover. Bake about 15 minutes longer until hot and bubbly.