Macaroni & Cheese, 1870
Author: adapted from Jennie June’s American Cookery
- 16-oz. elbow macaroni or penne pasta
- 2 cups milk
- 4 T. flour
- 4 T. butter
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1 t. mustard powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. pepper
- cayenne, to taste
- 8-oz. old cheddar, grated
- Set a large pot of water to boil and cook the pasta until al dente. Strain the water and return the macaroni to the pot.
- While the macaroni is cooking, mix the milk, flour, and butter in a medium saucepan. Stir until combined and butter has melted.
- To the sauce, add the cream, mustard, salt, pepper, cayenne, and cheese. Mix together and simmer for about 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add finished sauce to macaroni and stir, cooking until evenly heated.