Italian Sausage Pasta Bake
Author: Jo Cooks
- 6 links Italian sausage, casings removed
- medium onion, chopped
- green bell pepper, chopped
- 28-oz. canned, diced tomatoes
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 10-oz. tomato sauce
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. dried basil
- ½ t. dried thyme
- ½ t. fennel seed
- ½ t. salt, or to taste
- ½ t. black pepper
- 16-oz. penne pasta, cooked al dente
- 6-oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Crumble the sausage meat into a large saucepan over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, and pepper and cook for 3 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce oregano, basil, thyme, fennel seeds, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat and cook for another 10 minutes. Mix in the cooked penne and 3-oz. of the cheese.
- Spread evenly into a 9x13-in. baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake until the cheese has melted and the casserole is bubbling, about 20 minutes.
- Let it cool for a few minutes before slicing.