Stuffed Green Peppers With Italian Sausage And Parmesan
Author: from Kayln’s Kitchen
- 4 large green bell peppers
- large onion, diced
- 2 t. olive oil
- 2 links sweet Italian sausage
- ½ t. ground fennel
- ½ t. dried oregano
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- cooked brown rice
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Trim bottom of peppers so they will stand up. Cut off a fairly generous amount of the stem end of the peppers. Place hollowed-out peppers in a greased baking dish.
- Remove stem part, trim off any white membrane, and dice pepper caps along with the onion.
- Heat 2 t. olive oil in a large skillet, then sauté diced peppers and onions for 3 – 4 minutes, until softened but not brown. Remove to a bowl, add 1 t. more olive oil.
- Remove sausage from casing and cook until it’s lightly browned. Add peppers, onions, fennel, oregano, and sauté 2 – 3 minutes. Add cooked brown rice and Parmesan cheese.
- Pack the filling into the hollowed-out peppers. Bake 30 minutes, then remove from oven and top each pepper with mozzarella. Bake 10 – 15 minutes more until cheese is melted and lightly brown.