Author: from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest
- 2 cups tart apple, coarsely grated and packed
- 3 T. lemon juice
- ½ t. grated lemon rind (optional)
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 T. butter, melted
- large egg, beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ¼ t. vanilla extract (optional)
- ½ cup walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter a medium-sized loaf pan.
- Combine grated apple, lemon juice, and rind (if using).
- In a separate bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and egg. Combine with apple.
- Sift all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together in a mixing bowl.
- Make a well and pour in the egg and apple mixing, along with the vanilla and walnuts (if using). Stir until positively combined.
- Spread into the prepared pan. Bake 40 – 50 minutes until knife comes out clean.