Swedish Chocolate Bread
Author: Sam McCright
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 – 2 ½ cups bread flour
- 1 ½ t. rapid or quick rise yeast
- ⅓ - ½ cup Nutella
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a small saucepan, combine milk, sugar and butter over medium heat until slightly warm to the touch. Remove from heat and add yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir together 1 cup flour and salt. Mix in yeast mixture, adding flour gradually until dough is tacky but not sticky. Mix until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Let rise until doubled. Punch down, let rise another 30-45 minutes.
- Roll on a lightly floured work surface into a large rectangle. Spread Nutella filling on middle third of dough. Cut 1-in. strips down both sides of dough from filling to edge. Fold the top of filled center over dough and then alternate fold side strips over filling, angling each folded strip down.
- Place on a greased baking sheet, cover and let rise for minimum 1 hour. Brush with beaten egg and bake 20 – 25 minutes or until golden.