Honey Wheat Bread
Author: Kathy Tembrock
- 2 packages yeast
- 2 ½ cups warm water
- 2 T. sugar
- 1 T. salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup honey
- ½ cup dry powdered non-fat milk
- 2 ½ cups white flour, unsifted wheat germ or unbleached
- 5 cups whole-wheat flour, unsifted
- Dissolve yeast into warm water and let sit while starting to mix other ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, salt, oil, and honey. Add the yeast when it is completely dissolved and has begun to work. Add the white flour and powdered milk and beat until smooth. Gradually add the whole-wheat flour to make a moderately stiff batter.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, cover, and let rest for 10 minutes. Then, knead until the dough breaks across the top in smooth blisters, about 5 – 10 minutes. Let rise for at least an hour until doubled. Punch down and let rise an additional 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Shape into two loaves, about 2 lbs. each. Let rise until doubled once again.
- Bake 40 – 45 minutes.