Italian Sausage Lentil Stew With Roasted Red Peppers
Author: from Closet Cooking
Serves: 4 - 6
- ½ lb. spicy ground Italian sausage
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 whole carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- large sprinkle cayenne pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 14-oz. canned diced tomatoes (Italian)
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ t. dried oregano
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Brown the sausage in a large pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook until tender, about 10 – 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cayenne pepper to taste. Add the red wine and deglaze the pot. Finally, return the sausage to the pot, and add the lentils, chicken stock, diced tomatoes, roasted red peppers, bay leaf, oregano, and vinegar.
- Bring the stew to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat, cover and simmer about 20 – 30 minutes until the lentils are cooked. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper and add in the chopped parsley.
- Serve with bread.