The Baked Brownie
Author: from Baked: New Frontiers In Baking
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 t. salt
- 2 T. dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 11-oz. dark chocolate (60 – 72% cacao), coarsely chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 t. instant espresso powder
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter the sides and bottom of a 9x13-in. glass or light-colored metal baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and cocoa powder together.
- Put the chocolate, butter, and instant espresso powder in a large bowl and set it over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and smooth. Turn off the heat, and add the sugars. Whisk until completely combined, then remove bowl from pan.
- Add eggs and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture. Fold the flour mixture into the chocolate until just a bit of the flour mixture is visible.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Let the brownies cool completely, then cut them into squares.