Grab-and-Go Breakfast Bars
Author: AccentHealth / CNN
Nutrition: 170 calories, 7g fat (1.5g saturated, 0.7g omega-3), 85mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 3g protein
- 1 cup quick or rolled oatmeal
- 1 cup Shredded Wheat cereal
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1½ cups dried fruit (we use a combination of dried apricots, dried plums, and dried cranberries)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs (or 4 egg whites)
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the oats, shredded wheat, walnuts, dried fruit, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped (the dried fruit will be the size of a dried pea or lentil).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, and vanilla. Add the oatmeal mixture and chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Transfer to the baking pan and flatten down gently with the back of a spoon or spatula to spread evenly.
- Bake about 18 minutes until the edges turn golden brown and the bars are done. Let bars cool completely in pan before slicing and serving.
TIP: These bars freeze really well. So, if you have leftovers, wrap individual portions in plastic baggies or aluminum foil and freeze.